OpenGL renders incorrectly

I have written a simple application using OpenGL. I was able to successfully compile and run the program on using Visual C++ 6.0, Project Builder 1.1 for MacOS X, and the GNU compiler included with Intel version of RedHat Linux 7.2.

I wanted to get the program to build under GNU compiler for cygwin. I was able to build the program. However, it does not render correctly when it runs. The program displays a geometric object lit with a single light source. In the cygwin version the object appears extremely dark, as if no lighting is shining on it.

This problem does not happen on any of the other versions of the program I've been able to compile and run, so I am reasonably confident the problem is not in my source code.

Can anyone offer and explanation for this?

I am running cywin an Intel Pentium IV system with Windows XP Professional and a 64 Megabyte nVidia GeForce 3 video card.

I can make the source code available to anyone who is interested in trouble shooting this issue.