Re: procmail output file format.

On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 03:51:40PM -0400, Jason House wrote:
> I did not know of #1, although I would have been fairly happy with that
> solution.  (I currently do both #2 and #3 to be safe)
>
> I originally began with setting the HOME variable (like PATH) in order
> to make other unix ports (ie. emacs, ucd-snmp, etc...) work.
>
> Just doing #2 worked fine for me.  My /home/Administrator was empty
> anyway.  I didn't hit into any trouble, but I did #3 (also) in order to
> "do it right".
>
> I guess it would be nice if setting HOME had the desired effect on
> procmail... but I don't think modifying the source is the right way to
> do it.  Maybe cygwin should warn about inconsistencies between
> /etc/passwd and HOME (which apparently overrides /etc/passwd).  I looked
> in /etc/profile and it doesn't seem to make any distinction there
> between where HOME comes from.  I don't know where else to look...
>
> Hopefully my comments are useful :)

Yes this is very useful.  I wish I knew what the point of this Administrator
account is.  On my Cygwin installation, there are only three files under the
entire /home directory:

	Administrator/dead.letter
	Administrator/mail/saved-messages
	Administrator/mail/sent-mail

The "dead.letter" file accumulates just the _bodies_ of
(presumably) email messages interrupted during composing.
The latter two files are initialized with "DON'T DELETE
THESE HEADERS -- FOLDER-INTERNAL DATA".  It all seems very
harmless -- nothing "root-like" about it.