Re: Building compilers under cygwin

Mark,

At 13:44 2002-06-09, Mark Butcher wrote:
Hi All

Before I continue with details of the problem, there is another point on my
mind. I am using cygwin since it was advised to me as a Unix type
environment for my Windows PC. This means that I can build my compilers
(when it works) with tools intended for a Unix machine. Although I have
never used Linux, people who have tell me that it is essentially Unix based
and is therefore also suitable for the job in hand. They also tell me that
I can make my computer dual bootable so that I can either run Linux or a
Windows operating system. If all of this is true, would it not be advisable
to install Linux and do away with cygwin altogether ? Please remember that
I really do not know much about the two systems, with their pros and cons
and this question is not intended as a derogatory question - I am sure that
there must be some good reasons for both and these are interesting me...

Cygwin is appropriate for people who must, for one reason or another, run Windows but who also want or need to use the GNU tools and / or a POSIX programming environment. That describes a great many people, as it turns out.

There is another option with which you may not be familiar: VMWare. This software allows Linux and Windows to operate simultaneously. It is not a "symmetric" virtual machine emulation, however. One system is primary and hosts the other. The vendor makes both variations: Windows hosting a virtual machine running Linux and Linux hosting a virtual machine running Windows.

It's not cheap, but it is good. It's best with abundant hardware resources, of course: lots of RAM; fast processors; multiple, capacious disks.

Check it out: <http://www.vmware.com/>

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA