How to build mutt to deal with international characters?

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 10:31:15AM -0400, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> - The binaries have been built with "--enable-locales-fix".  This helps with
> the "characters > 127 show up as `?'" problem, which results in much better
> usability in many non-"C" locales.

I had the above problem with all of my private mutt builds (e.g.,
1.3.24i).  I gave the configure "--enable-locales-fix" option a try back
when Gary first posted the above.  Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful
and gave up.

Now that mutt 1.4 is out, I've decide to try, try again.  Unfortunately,
I'm still unsuccessful.

Note that I believe that this a build issue and not an environment issue
because when I run Gary's version side-by-side with mine his works
and mine doesn't.  I'm building against libiconv-1.6 and configuring
as follows:

    configure --enable-imap --enable-pop --with-ssl --with-mailpath=/var/spool/mail --enable-buffy-size --enable-locales-fix

Does anyone know how to build mutt so it can deal with international
characters?  Not that I can read them, but they look much cooler than
question marks. :,)

Thanks,
Jason