Re: Empty timezone in date command

I experienced this same problem with an older version of cygwin
(1.3.6?), and I don't believe it has been fixed. Basically, the newlib
implementation is inadequate. I was unable to compile fileutils OOTB
because the timezone was not and could not be set. The answer that I
received from Corinna Vinschen was "there must be a problem with the
newlib implementation". Since I don't know what this means, or the time
to find out, I simply gave up on compiling fileutils at all.

HTH,
Peter