Re: installing Cygwin from CD-ROM

On Thu, 30 May 2002, Michael Wardle wrote:

> Hi Peter

Hi Michael,

> Peter A. Castro wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 May 2002, Michael Wardle wrote:
> >>I downloaded the latest available Cygwin release (2.218) in full from a
> >>local mirror using wget, and burned it onto a CD (setup.exe is at the
> >>root level).  When I try to run setup.exe directly off the CD and point
> >>it at E:\ for packages, the installer seems to sit there idle, yet if I
> >>copy the CD's contents to a local hard disk and run setup from there, it
> >>works correctly.
> >>
> >>Any idea what the problem might be?
> >
> > What kind of system are you running on?  What's your burner software and
> > what CD format/options are you setting?
>
> AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz
> Microsoft Windows 98
> Nero Burning ROM 5
> ISO9660+Joliet/Mode 1/Single Session

Sounds normal, so unless the software is broken, the CD image itself is OK.

> (I don't know much about burning CDs, so I usually just opt for
> conservative defaults and try to ensure that I get Joliet and RockRidge
> if they're available in the burning software.)

A decent choice.

> In any case, the CD itself is readable, and the files all appear to be
> in the correct place with the correct names.
>
> > I grab most all of Cygwin, burn to CD, and install from it on a fairly
>  > regular basis and I've not seen this problem. When you copy the CD to
>  > local disk, do you copy it completely?
>
> Yes.
>
> > I presume you create a subdirectory on the local disk any
> > copy it to that?  As an off chance, try burning Cygwin under some
> > toplevel directory, like E:\cygwin instead of having it at the root of
> > the CD.
>
> I thought that might have been the problem, but didn't have any more
> blanks I could use to test.

Try re-writable CDs.

> > Also, only copy the 'release' directory and the setup.* files.
>
> I copied all files at the root level, plus the release subdirectory.  I
> think this is equivalent to what you have said, plus md5.sum.  FWIW I
> also put some of the documentation from the Cygwin home page in a "docs"
> subdirectory at the root level.

Just to make sure, here's what I meant:
	mkdir C:\cygtemp
	copy /s E:\* C:\cygtemp
Install from C:\cygtemp

> Indeed, this was about all I could copy, as it came in at about 560 MiB,
> which is nearly a full ISO9660 CD.

Yes, it is quite large.

> > Just as an aside, I have seen a seemingly hanging condition while
> > installing from a network mounted Windows Share (actually a Samba
> > server).  Copying it locally did not solve the problem, however.  After
> > some paring down of extraneous directories, I discovered that the
> > toplevel directory 'xfree' was causing the hang.  If I renamed 'xfree'
> > to, say, 'old_xfree' the hang didn't occur.  I have not had time to run
> > setup under debug to shoot the problem.
>
> That might be worth looking at, as I had also downloaded XFree86.

Hmmm, is that XFree86 in the release directory or the X development stuff
in the 'xfree' directory that's at the root of the CD?  This may require
a debug session with setup.exe

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>