Re: Building cygwin1.dll

At 01:12 PM 5/28/2002, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 12:28:04PM -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
> >At 12:03 PM 5/28/2002, rich-paul@rich-paul.net wrote:
> >>First, a question for the list: Are problems with building cygwin
> >>on-topic for this list?  I know y'all don't like custom setups, and
> >>custom building may be worse!
> >
> >I'm not sure what "custom building" means but issues with building the
> >Cygwin DLL are on-topic for this list.  Generally speaking though, the
> >process should be as described in the FAQ entry:
> >
> >How do I rebuild the tools on my NT box?
> >http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_4.html#SEC102
>
>Yeah, but I have a lot of problems with those instructions.  I've found
>that I generally have to convert all of the C code to Modula 3 and
>rewrite the Makefiles as c-shell scripts before I can rebuild anything.
>Sometimes I have to hand-compile stuff, too.  That's pretty tedious.

<humor>
I'd direct you to the email list archives but you'd probably be overwhelmed
by the number of posts with people saying they do the same thing.  Of course
when you run into this kind of problem, the best thing to do is send email
to this list about it and repeat it many times.  Most of the folks on this
list that could help you have allot of free time so they prefer to read
multiple repeat posts.  However, sometimes the best course of action when
you encounter a problem like this is to drop back to version B14 of Cygwin.
Either that or just use DOS or CPM.  These often work much better than the
current version of Cygwin.  But since you're a newbie, Chris, we can't
expect you to know that.
</humor>