Computer slows after killing rsync

I have a perl script which uses File::Rsync to run rsync over ssh, all
running on cygwin.  If I use control-c or kill to kill the rsync process,
the entire computer slows to a crawl.  However if I kill the ssh spawned by
rsync, the whole things exits gracefully without slowing down the whole
machine.

Does anyone know what could be happening here?

I am trying to write some code, using either alarm and signals, or AT, to
force a rsync to quit if it takes too long.  I get the same kind of results
whether I do the killing programmatically from within the signal handler, or
from the command line in an other cygwin window.  Any input on what could be
going on would be great.  Its a weird problem, the sort of thing I'de think
shouldn't be happening.

--
Joseph Annino Consulting - Perl, PHP, MySQL, Oracle, etc.
jannino@jannino.com - http://www.jannino.com