Re: [Patch] make 3.79.1-5 vpath directive in file 'read.c'

Hi,

sorry, I've been on vacation for two weeks, and now trying to catch up
with the mailing list.
Since supplying the patch, and already trying 3.79.1-7 in experimental
mode, I've come to an understanding about the FIXME comments, asking
whether such a conversion should only be applied when not in 'unixy'
mode ("unixy_shell != 0").
1. In the file vpath.c, the VPATH variable and the GPATH variable are
handled differently (GPATH only converts when unixy_shell == 0, VPATH in
any case); this is at least inconsequent, I'd suggest to remove the
'unixy_shell' condition in the GPATH case.
2. In the file read.c, the vpath directive includes a check for
"!unixy_shell", which I would like to have removed. The patch I provided
had no such condition, which let me use DOS-like pathnames for
VPATH/GPATH/vpath, whithout the need for explicit conversion, even when
using /bin/sh or bash from the CygWin distribution. This comes
in handy, since my makefiles are to be platform independent for Windows
(using CygWin) and several flavours of Unix where no cygpath/realpath
utilities are available, of course. Yes, ifeq can test for platforms,
but the makefile tends to become less readable if every path
specification must be bracketed with ifeq/else/endif's.

Is there a reason to retain the checks for "!unixy_shell"?

Regards,

Johan Bezem
CSK Software AG

PS: The cygwin website seems to be down at the moment, so I couldn't
check whether the released 3.79.1-7 is exactly the same as the
experimental 3.79.1-7 I downloaded on May 12th.