Re: /cygdrive/c ==> //c

Larry, et al --

...and then Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) said...
%
% At 10:17 AM 5/10/2002, David T-G wrote:
% >
% >I enjoyed being able to cd to //<driveletter>/<path> and was somewhat
% >to // (I can now change to /c/tmp or /d/data).  Is there any way to get
% >back the double-slash behavior?
%
% No.  Your best bet is to stick with the /<driveletter>/<path> alternative,
% if you don't like the "cygdrive" (or some other prefix).  "//" is generally

It's just too long :-)

% a bad choice for Windows anyway since that's the key to indicate network
% paths via UNC.  A mistyped local drive access using the "//" notation can

Ah, I get it.  I didn't realize that // was now mapped as \\, though I
suppose that makes some sense.  You see, I've only downloaded the cygwin
kit back at b.19 or b.20 (though I did update to .1 later) and at one
of the first setup.exe releases...

% cause lengthy delays... and frequent posts to this list complaining about
% performance! ;-)

Yeah, I can imagine :-)  I experienced the same thing and figured it was
an error in the prefix rather than a network search, so I'm fortunate to
have not asked the same thing myself!

%
% There's no reason to be mucking around the registry either to make any of
% these kinds of changes.  That's why the mount command exists.

Hmmm...  Maybe I'll look into that, then!  [*sigh* as soon as I find the
cygintl dll, apparently...]

Anyone want to break the suspense and tell me how it's useful to me?

Thanks & HAND

:-D
(play) davidtg@justpickone.org * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie
(work) davidtgwork@justpickone.org