Re: Manual setup of cygwin (how to set cygwin dir as root dir)

At 09:17 AM 5/7/2002, Sukhwinder Singh wrote:
>Hello,
>     I am using Windows 95 OS and microsoft client etc. is not installed.
>So I am the single (default) user who uses this computer(I don't see that
>login screen). So there is no home directory etc.
>
>I tried to use setup to download cygwin but setup failed after downloading
>the setup.ini file. So, I had to download files myself one by one. I have
>extracted all these files to d:\c\cygwin folder. Many scripts refer /bin/sh
>but bash is unable to find /bin/sh because bin is not in the root drive but
>inside d:\c\cygwin\bin.
>Is there any environment variable to set cygwin home so that bash treats
>d:\c\cygwin as root. But I think if I did this, I won't be able to access
>other drives and directories etc. So what is the solution.
>
>     Also should bash.exe and some others are extracted inside /bin. But most
>extract exes to /usr/bin. So where actually bash etc be located. Inside /bin
>or /usr/bin.

Clearly, you're trying to manually install Cygwin.  This is *highly*
discourage from the standpoint of this list being very concerned about
problems you may have in the process.  Still, if you're going to try
this, it may be best for you to review the email list archives in the
last few weeks.  The topic of manual installation came up and some
worthwhile "hints" and "procedures" were discussed.  This could save you
some pain and answer some questions you're bound to have.

In terms of your current approach, I don't know what you're using to
extract the contents of the files you download but your best bet is to
extract the Cygwin package, followed by ash, and then tar.  Once you've
done that, mount your 'd:\c\cygwin\' as '/'.  You can then mount your
usr/bin directory as '/bin', and usr/lib as '/lib'.  This will give you
the typical mounts that setup creates and allow you to put /bin in your
path to get all the executables you need.  Use the Cygwin tar after that
to extract other packages.  It may even be worthwhile to use this as the
bootstrap for a whole new installation directory, since this will understand
all the Cygwin value-added functionality which your current extract process/
tools probably don't.

Have fun.  You have lots of experimenting ahead of you! ;-)