using Windows links

I know this has been discussed quite a bit from various angles, but
after hours of searching through the mail archive, I can't seem to
find the angle that's important to me.

I can create fine shortcuts with ln -s which are accessible by Windows,
but I can't seem to be able to use Windows Shortcuts with Cygwin.

I might have resignedly accepted this as a consequence of having a
great interface on a crummy os, except that I *could* follow Window's
shortcuts before I just upgraded to 1.3.10.

For example, there are all kinds of shortcuts scattered around my filesystem
which have been installed by my company's tools which I used to be able to
call from bash and put in the background.  Then I could Alt-tab to that window
and use the keyboard.  Or, do an ls -l on them and see where they point to.
Since 1.3.10, that doesn't work anymore: now I've always got to go reaching for the mouse.

An interesting side effect: I have a shortcut (Desktop.lnk) on my $HOME
that was originally created by Windows.  I can't cd there anymore.  I tried
to create a second link for Cygwin (Desktop), but ln tells me it already
exists!

$ ln -s $nt/Desktop Desktop
/bin/ln: creating symbolic link `Desktop' to `/cygdrive/c/WINNT/Profiles/mt099378/Desktop': File exists

Thus, even though Desktop.lnk isn't recognized as anything special, it
is anyway!