Re: 'redownload' aka download again and setup.exe

Robert Collins <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au> wrote:
> Ok. Time for a straw poll.
>
> Please write back (to me or the list, your choice) whether you use the
> DELIBERATE 'download again' functionality of setup.exe or not.
> And if so, how often and for what purpose.
>
> This is to determine if certain functionality that -in essence- causes
> the 'accidental' redownloading of files in 'download only' mode.
>
> Both positive and negative answers are useful, but in the absence of any
> significant number of answers, I will assume that no-one uses the
> functionality.
>
> Unless there is a real user need for it, the functionality will be
> removed in the next setup.exe release.
>
> Rob

Nooooooo! I used that to download stuff that I don't want installed. I only have
good internet access at work, so I like to have a complete set of cygwin files,
so I can install extra bits that I discover I need whilst offline - also, I
share my package directory with a friend. Now, its a bit a problem at the
moment, because setup doesn't respond well to the local package directory being
out of sync with the currently installed stuff, so I waste a lot of HD space
installing everything, but I would very much like to avoid this. For this
reason, I am investigating setup, to try and make a patch that makes its
behaviour sane. Meanwhile, if you feel that this behaviour is causing too much
mailing list chatter, please could we agree to hide the radio button unles a
command line option is passed? Then, we (I?) can work on improving this feature
of setup 'behind the scenes', until it is good enough to be reinstated.

Max.