Re: Case insensitivity

At 09:25 PM 4/24/2002, B. Joshua Rosen wrote:
>I'm in the process of porting my CAE tool (hdlmaker) to Cygwin and I've
>run into a problem with case sensitivity, or to be precise the lack of
>case sensitivity in the file system. I have a number of files that are
>paired as upper and lower case versions, i.e. FD.v and fd.v. In the Unix
>world this is no problem but in the Cygwin environment the files
>conflict. I noticed the problem when doing a CVS checkout. I'm aware
>that NTFS is not case sensitive, does Cygwin provide a layer that
>provides case sensitivity or do I have to go through the huge effort of
>converting my library to make it case independent.

While I agree with both Chris's and Rob's response to this thread, in the
interest of keeping misinformation out of the email archive, I'll make the
following statements:

   1. NTFS *is* case-sensitive.  Windows forces case-insensitivity on it.

   2. It is possible to create files with the same name differing only by
      case under Windows using it's API.  There was a patch floating around
      for Cygwin years ago that did this.  However, it was never incorporated
      because native Windows tools couldn't deal with the resulting files and
      the concept couldn't be extended to incorporate directories (as I
      recall - of course I'll defer to the email list archives if it states
      otherwise! ;-) )

I think you're really pretty much stuck converting your library.