Re: ps and linking to cygwin.dll

At 07:34 PM 4/24/2002, Ryan T. Sammartino wrote:
>On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 06:09:44PM -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
> > At 05:18 PM 4/24/2002, Ryan T. Sammartino wrote:
> > >
> > >Not really.  The question is *not* "How do I get ps to display Windows
> > >processes".  The question is:
> > >
> > >Does 'ps' (without -W) list only processes that have been linked to the
> > >Cygwin dll?
> > >
> > >Releated question:
> > >
> > >The man page says ps will list "Cygwin processes".   What is a "Cygwin
> > >process", exactly?  Is a Cygwin process an executable that's been linked
> > >to the Cygwin dll?  Does "will list" mean "will *only* list" (in the
> > >absence of the -W option)?
> > >

> > >Make sense?
> >

> > Not to me but...  The answer is yes to all questions.  I expect you would
> > be able to figure this out by playing with it briefly.  If not, the answer
> > is also in the email archives (or source code).  Sorry but I feel a little
> > like we're beating a dead horse here.  Anyway, we're sure it's dead now,
> > right?
> >

>Not quite yet :)
>
>So, if I see a process in 'ps -a' output that is *not* linked to Cygwin
>dll, that's a bug?

Yes.

>Or, does it mean that it is linked to the Cygwin dll, and that "depend"
>tool that comes with Visual Studio is lying to me?

No.  The process may load Cygwin DLL at runtime.  "depends" won't detect
this.  Of course, if I knew the specifics of the case you're concerned
about, I or someone else might be able to better advise you.  Is there
any reason that you want to hide the details of the specific problem you're
seeing?