Cygwin newbie needs help

I've installed Cygwin on a freshly built Win2K Pro system. I installed
everything including Xfree86, I've also installed Xemacs. I have a few
basic questions to get me started. My operating environment is as
follows, my workstation is a Redhat 7.2 box, the Win2K box is in another
room. I want to be able to work on the Win2K box remotely. Currently I'm
using VNC but I'm not happy with that solution because VNC is dog slow,
I get better performance over a dialup line with SSH then I do with VNC
over my LAN. So here are a few questions

1) How do I get X forwarding to work? I've tried the usual, i.e.

setenv DISPLAY remotemachine:0.0

but that didn't work. When I launched Xemacs it opened up on the local
machine instead of the remote machine.

2) Is there a way to rlogin or ssh into the Win2K box?

3) How do I get cygwin to automatically use tcsh instead of bash? I
edited /etc/passwd but that didn't seem to work.

4) Is there a way to configure VNC so that it's performance is
adequate?, any suggestions in this area would also be appreciated.

Thanks