Re: Is Cygwin legal under Windows XP?

This whole thing seems kind of iffy in regards to Microsoft's
position. While Microsoft has some authority, consumers do too and
Windows XP's EULA may violate some consumer rights (I don't know of
any off hand, though). But even if it doesn't violate any at the
moment, it violates what I consider my own "consumer rights" - I have
the right to run any program I want to on any computer I own,
including Microsoft Operating Systems.

And what is this EULA anyway? If I purchase software, do I or do I not
own the software? And can I or can I not do anything I want to with it
- I mean, it's mine and they sold it to me. Or am I "leasing" the
software from someone?

It's one thing for an EULA to say, "You may have one copy of this
piece of software running on at most one computer at any time," but
another thing for it to say what I can use the software for.

Elizabeth