Re: Why did you guys break EVERYTHING...

Well Barry for what it is worth I think the more cygwin becomes
like unix the better.  After all it is a product designed to
make windows work more like unix and ease porting of unix code
to windows.  As for the backward paths delimiters and drive letters
they will make your code unable to run on unix if you want your
code portable you need to not use them.
As for /usr/local/bin that is very useful I can have my program
put something in /usr/local/bin and it will work wither or not
the OS is windows, AIX, Solaris FreeBSD or Linux.  In other words
I can write the script once and never change it... provided I
don't add things like c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc.  If I do that
then my code will not work on anything but winnt.

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 07:29:46PM -0700, Schwartz, Barry wrote:
> OK.  Feeling better now... If one of my customers wrote me that with no
> examples, I'd get a kick out of it too.
> So...
> rsh must have changed.  I use it in a script to move perforce clients around
> from NT to UNIX.
> The attached script, getfull.pl is the example that failed with the new program
> and worked with the old.
>
> Also, the semantics and output of "which", "ls", and "cp" have changed too in my
> opinion, not the least of which is the fau root directory and all the cygnus
> stuff being in "/usr/local/bin" which is not a real directory on my machine.  I
> would much rather see the native paths.  That is definately what the old code
> did and what my scripts expect.
>
> I definately do not need you guys to fix my scripts or show me how the programs
> work.  I can handle that.  It's just that it's not how I really want to spend a
> half a work day when I have other stuff to do.  I'm also a little embarrassed
> since I raved about your tools and made another group adopt them for an
> upcomming project.  Now, when they try to run my scripts, they will crap out...
>
> I'll probably have to fix them since you won't be supporting the old stuff and I
> need some of the tools only available in the new release.
>
> Although I need to tone down...  I really do "feel" the unixisms creeping in.  I
> like the semantics of the unix commands and the familiarity since I work on both
> platforms.  But, on a windows box (my main sqeeze) I expect paths and file
> locations to take the windows form.  Just my opinion...
>
> Thanks for getting back to me by the way.
>
> barry

Slowly and surely the unix crept up on the Nintendo user ...
Wayne Willcox                          I will not eat green eggs and ham
wayne@reliant.immure.com                     I will not eat them Sam I Am!!
A wise person makes his own decisions, a weak one obeys public opinion.
                -- Chinese proverb