NT domain user's "chmod" on Samba file quietly fails

As I mentioned in my previous message, I've set up a fairly reasonable
/etc/passwd that holds SIDs for both my Windows domain and the primary
file server, a Samba box.  The Windows SID and the Samba SID for each user
map to the same UID (the Windows RID) to try to keep cygwin tools largely
unaware of the discrepancy between the SIDs, even with CYGWIN=ntsec.

Unfortunately, although I can chmod files just fine on Windows shares,
it isn't working for Samba shares (using Samba 2.2.1a from the latest
Redhat 7.2, latest cygwin, on either Windows NT or 2k):

$ touch foo
$ ls -l foo
-rwxr--r--    1 metcalf  users           0 Apr 19 15:46 foo
$ chmod 600 foo
$ ls -l foo
-rwxr--r--    1 metcalf  users           0 Apr 19 15:46 foo
$ getfacl foo
# file: foo
# owner: metcalf
# group: users
user::rwx
group::r--
mask::r--
other::r--
$ setfacl -m o::--- foo
$ ls -l foo
-rwxr--r--    1 metcalf  users           0 Apr 19 15:46 foo

If I just try to make the file read-write, that works somewhat:

$ chmod 400 foo
$ ls -l foo
-r-xr--r--    1 metcalf  users           0 Apr 19 15:46 foo

If I bring up Explorer and, in the File Permissions dialog, reset the
"Everyone" permission to "O" instead of "R", that does work:

$ ls -l foo
-rwxr-----    1 metcalf  users           0 Apr 19 15:46 foo

The Samba server logs don't seem to be reporting anything too amiss,
and the strace output between a working chown (on a Windows share)
and a failing chown (on a Samba share) are basically indistinguishable.

Any ideas as to what's going wrong here?

Thanks,
                Chris Metcalf -- InCert Software -- 1 (617) 621 8080
                metcalf@incert.com -- http://www.incert.com/~metcalf