Re: Where is the manual to manually install Cygwin in Windiows 2000

At 09:45 PM 4/18/2002, Michael A Chase wrote:
> [...]

I quite disagree with this point.  If it were true, it would be impossible
to move a Cygwin executable and the DLL to a machine without a Cygwin
install and have it work.  This does work in the general case, though
there are specific packages for which it won't without additional
configuration (like the mount points you mentioned, mount type, environment
variable settings, etc).  But those are limited exceptions to the rule.

>and many packages have postinstall scripts that should be run.

Which can still be run manually if the user chooses.  Setup automates the
running of these but there is still nothing magical about them.

>Setup.exe will take care of them for you.  Without it you are on your own.
>
>I'm only mentioning these as a caution against what you seem to insist on
>doing.  Don't expect any support if you go against all advice.

I fully agree with this.  The above comments I made are really nits since I
want to dispel the myth that setup does things that can't be done manually.
Anyone really interested in installing "manually" can always look at what
setup does and perform the same steps.  My impression is that people looking
to install "manually" are looking for a scriptable setup, of which there is
already a start (thanks Rob).  I'd recommend anyone who plans to put any time
into creating their own automated installation to seriously consider adding
to the capabilities of setup in this area.  You'll leverage allot of work,
make things easier for yourself and others, and gain something that is
maintainable over time.

Just my $.02.