CreateWindow Errors and undefined reference to InitCommonControls

Greetings,
	I have two problems that I am hoping some of you could shed some
light on.
I am getting a NULL from calls to subsequent calls to CreateWindow after the
first one to create the parent window. This happens for any call to it, I am
using the instance value passed to WinMain and am using the handle of the
parent window. Here is the kicker: This happens on Win98 but I also run the
code on my WinNT machine and have absolutely no problems with it. I do
remeber there being an issue in how hInst is handled between winNT and
win98. Anyone else run into this problem? Any suggestions/insight would be
greatly appreciated.

My second problem is that during linking, I get an undefined reference to
InitCommonControls function, I am linking against gdi32 and user32, is there
some other library I should be linking with as well?
Thanks in advace for all suggestions/hints/comments, they are much
appreciated!

-Bryan