Re: will bash honor the suid bit or not?

Thank you for your reply, Larry.

You're right when you say that the requirement to give these permissions
would defeat the whole purpose. In short, the purpose of the application
itself is security-related. The information contained in the config. files
is sensitive. The user needs to have the benefit of the data - through
action of the program - but should not have access to the data itself.
Giving out extensive privileges is exactly contray to this purpose.

And you were right to guess that I already set ntsec in CYGWIN - it was my
first move. That, and to put the definition in the systems env. vars, so
other users who log in without Administrator privilege can't change it.

I am apparently ignorant of how to handle a case like this on NT/2000, nor
do I even know where to look. This problem must be solved for many uses
already. I would think that a great many services have this same problem.
It's an exceptionally common need to have a non-privileged user run a
program and get privileged results. ...I'm a skilled, experienced
programmer, but am _completely_ ignorant of the NT/2000 world - I don't
even know where to look for answers! Worse, I'm very short on time.
Yesterday, for example, I put in 19 hours of work. ...Working tired sure
doesn't help. -sigh-

>From where I sit, it sure looks like this problem should be solved for the
BASH shell. Perhaps it should become a service? I dunno!

It'd be great to hear from more of you: Anyone else care to confirm
Larry's suggestion that giving privileges to users is the solution in this
case?

Thanks for your input,
Richard

--