Porting stuff to Cygwin

Hi all,

I'm looking for pointers...  I'd like to port a software package to
cygwin.  I've looked and it seems that it has not been done in the
current versions.  From what I've read, it looks like someone did/tried
it a few years ago... I didn't read about any success stories.

So... the package does not come with configure.sh but it has been designed
to compile on several flavours of unix.

Is there one flavour that is closer to cygwin than the others? Linux?
Is there some documentation that I can read or is it all just hacking?
I did get something to compile, but it didn't try to listen on it's port.
I haven't tried compiling it in debug mode and running from gdb yet.

All advice is greatly apreciated.

TIA

--
Milton Calnek
milton@calnek.com

Everything should be as simple as possible - but no simpler.
-- Albert Einstein as quoted by Peter G. Neumann in CHATS Principles