Re: cygwin-man

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 08:31:37PM -0800, Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
>I was thinking about (end-user) documentation. It seems like there are quite
>a few questions that come up about "What kind of UNIX is Cygwin?" and more
>than once there have been questions about a "man intro" page.
>I know a little groff and I'm thinking of making a collection of
>cygwin-specific
>manpages. Since the full documentation is on the web the manpages could point
>that direction (like the GNU manpages point to info).
>I might start out with a "man intro" page and manpages for the cygwin utils
>and cygwin_foo() functions, as already documented on the website. What I'm
>looking for is feedback on the intro.1 page, which might include:
>
>--URL of the User's Guide
>--the description from the website about "A DLL (cygwin1.dll) that acts as a
>  UNIX emulation layer..."
>--emphasis on GNU tools which make the cygwin environment more similar to
>  GNU/Linux or GNU/Hurd than, say, Solaris
>--that cygwin is NOT any one UNIX and the importance of the SUSv2 (with URL)
>--SEE ALSO: cygcheck, cygpath, etc.
>--???
>
>Obviously this is not real writing but just points to make on the page. I'll
>post a draft here also.

I think this is a wonderful idea.  Can I sign you up to improve the
documentation, too?  I'm sure that a lot of it is out of date or needs
more details.

It would be nice if most of it was available in info format, too.

However, I keep asking for volunteers for this so I know I can't be
choosy.  If you're willing to provide man pages, they would be much
appreciated.

I wonder if we should nuke the newlib man pages in the process and just
make one cygwin-man package containing everything.

cgf