starting programs from a windows prompt

Hi,

I have a problem with programs that start processes when they are run from
the windows2000 prompt:

// Parent program parent.c
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sys/wait.h>

int main() {
    system("child");
    return 0;
}

// Child program child.c
#include <stdio.h>

int main() {
 printf("freeeen\n");
 return 0;
}

Both programs compile and run fine from the cygwin shell, I start the parent
program and 'freeeen' is printed to the screen. If I start the parent
program from the windows2000 prompt no output is being sent to the screen.
No error message is printed, just nothing happens. The cygwin dll is in my
path. Should I use another call than 'system'?

Greetings, Albert