Re: gdb and win32

At 05:55 PM 3/25/2002, William Hubbard wrote:
>I am using a virtual serial port driver (from ddiusa.com) to connect gdb to a target simulation through the virtual serial ports.  gdb hangs whenever I attempt to connect.  It works fine when using the *real* serial ports, but hangs whenever I attempt to use the virtual ports.
>The virtual port software works with other win32 applications, and the docs say they drivers do not support DOS apps.  Is gdb considered a DOS app?  Does it use the win32 API to talk to the serial ports?  All I can find in the code is calls to open, read and write, not OpenFile, ReadFile or WriteFile as I would expect for a win32 application.

gdb that comes with Cygwin is not considered a DOS app.  It is a Win32 app.
The gdb code itself is ported to Win32 using the Cygwin DLL so you won't
find Win32 calls made in the gdb source.  You'll need to look at the Cygwin
DLL source to find those calls.

I haven't the foggiest idea what the problem is when using your virtual
serial port driver.  You may need to debug gdb to find the problem.  Or
talk to the vendor and get some details about how it works and what it
expects.  That might help lead you in the right direction.