gdb and win32

I am using a virtual serial port driver (from ddiusa.com) to connect gdb to
a target simulation through the virtual serial ports.  gdb hangs whenever I
attempt to connect.  It works fine when using the *real* serial ports, but
hangs whenever I attempt to use the virtual ports.
The virtual port software works with other win32 applications, and the docs
say they drivers do not support DOS apps.  Is gdb considered a DOS
app?  Does it use the win32 API to talk to the serial ports?  All I can
find in the code is calls to open, read and write, not OpenFile, ReadFile
or WriteFile as I would expect for a win32 application.

Bill