Re: termcap problem in RXVT?

At 08:13 PM 3/20/2002, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
>Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>
>>The short answer is "the answer is in the email archives".
>

>Not really. All the below reference says is that this is intentional, not why it's being done. My question was why.

If you follow the later posts as I mention below, you might find the answers.

>>See:
>>http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin/2001-11/msg01018.html
>>There's also various threads that follow this one where people are caught
>>by the change in bash's behavior.  There was mention of an idea which
>>would have Cygwin set the environment variables that would normally be initialized during login on a *NIX system but it appears that functionality is waiting for a volunteer AFAICT.  Wanna take a run at this?
>
>Somebody's actually waiting for somebody else to put:
>
>export SHELL
>
>in /etc/profile?!?
>
>I wouldn't mind taking a crack at this if 1) I knew the process of what needs to be done to "crack it" as it were (probably off of the Cygwin web page under contributors somewhere but this is such a simple change - it's not like I'm developing some package or something) and 2) Not knowing *why* "Bash no longer auto-exports HOME, PATH, SHELL and TERM..." I a bit hesitent to just export them.

If you're really interested in understanding what the background on this
issue is, you'll want to check out the discussions in the email archives
regarding the problems that arose when bash was changed.

BTW, bash was changed because these environment variables are set at login
on *NIX platforms, so setting them in bash is redundant at best.

But I still recommend looking at the email archives to understand
everyone's ideas on this issue.