Re: gcc error: ld cannot find user32 (w32api package installed)

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 03:28:46PM -0800, Luke J Crook wrote:
>>> From: "Edward M. Lee" <edward at tailifer dot com>
>>> To: "'Jeremy Hetzler'" <felixmendelssohnn at earthlink dot net>
>>> Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 22:42:38 -0500
>
>>> Try removing the ./ from the w32api-1.2.1.tar.bz2 package, then
>>> reinstall.
>
>>> Or just tar -C / path/to/w32api-1.2.1.tar.bz2
>
>I don't understand. I'm having the same problem, and I installed Cygwin from
>scratch.
>
>A previous post suggested copying the contents of the /usr/lib/w32api into
>/usr/lib and /lib. This worked for me.

And, wasn't it mentioned that this was obviously the wrong solution?

The linker is supposed to be handling this.  It is handling it for
everyone else in the world, or rather gcc is.  gcc passes options
to 'ld' to find the files in /usr/lib/w32api.  If you invoke the
linker directly then you're on your own.  However, I'd suggest
using the -L option in this case.

You undoubtedly have something strange in your environment that is
causing a problem.  I would check the usual suspects like environment
variables or other versions of gcc/ld than the correct ones being in
your path.

This really should be a tremendously complex problem to track down.
Assuming that the cygwin setup is screwed up in such a basic way is
probably not the first step you should take in debugging your
problem.  It's much more likely that there is something screwed up
on your end.

cgf