Re: postgresql: getting it to work (?)

Gee Neil,

Have you checked that postmaster is up & running ... ?
Do a
            ps -ef | grep postmaster

Have you tried to use the "-d" option ?
<snip>
        [root@stackanov root]# postmaster --help
        postmaster is the PostgreSQL server.

        Usage:
          postmaster [options...]

          -B NBUFFERS     number of shared buffers (default 64)
          -c NAME=VALUE   set run-time parameter
          -d 1-5          debugging level
          -D DATADIR      database directory
          -F              turn fsync off
          -h HOSTNAME     host name or IP address to listen on
          -i              enable TCP/IP connections
          -k DIRECTORY    Unix-domain socket location
          -N MAX-CONNECT  maximum number of allowed connections (1..1024,
default 32)
          -o OPTIONS      pass 'OPTIONS' to each backend server
          -p PORT         port number to listen on (default 5432)
          -S              silent mode (start in background without logging
output)

        Developer options:
          -n              do not reinitialize shared memory after abnormal
exit
          -s              send SIGSTOP to all backend servers if one dies

        Please read the documentation for the complete list of run-time
        configuration settings and how to set them on the command line or in
        the configuration file.

        Report bugs to <pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org>.
        [root@stackanov root]#
</snip>

If you can tell us that, you may expect a decent answer...
Don't just complain that smthg is WRONG, will you ?

You can also see on the PostgresQL ML....

thomas,

--
Thomas SMETS
rue J. Wytsmanstraat 62