Re: RPM Binary

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 06:09:56PM +0100, Peter Ring wrote:
>>From http://cygwin.com/lists.html:
>
>"cygwin: a high volume list for discussion of just about all things
>Cygwin-related. If you have questions about how to use Cygwin, or if you
>have cygwin-specific (see above) questions about the UNIX tools (bash, gcc,
>make, etc.) that come with Cygwin, this is the list for you. There is one
>exception to the "all things cygwin" nature of this list: questions about
>the Cygwin/XFree86 project (or any X-related questions for cygwin) should go
>to the cygwin-xfree mailing list (see below)."
>
>I don't see RPM (which BTW is a RedHat invention) excluded. This is a "how
>to use Cygwin" question, IMHO. Why the harsh reaction? Ignorance is never a
>virtue.

Larry was correct in asserting that we're not going to be discussing
alternate cygwin releases in this mailing list and was pre-wiring the
discussion since this has come up here repeatedly.  He prefaced his
response with "Assuming you mean that you're looking for RPM of Cygwin
and it's packages" and the rest of his message acted on that assumption.
Given the number of times this has come up and the inevitable responses,
I am thankful to have him nip this in the bud, if possible.

Anyway, regardless of whether this is a "Red Hat invention" or not, RPM
is not part of the official release.  As you know, linux is also a Red
Hat offering.  However, discussion of linux isn't guaranteed to be
on-topic here, either; although it certainly could be on-topic in some
circumstances.

So, if you want to discuss porting issues with RPM, that's fine.  If
someone wants to provide pointers to existing RPM implementations (as
you've done), that's fine, too.

If you want to discuss an alternate RPM-based distribution of cygwin
then you should use another mailing list.  I think that's only fair.
You shouldn't be discussing SuSE in a Red Hat mailing list either.

(I know that you know all this, Peter.  I'm just clarifying for the
masses.)

Anyway, I've just changed the wording on the web page to make it clear
that alternate cygwin releases shouldn't be discussed here.

Thank you, Larry and Peter, for providing this user with useful info.

cgf