make core dumping

Hi!

Maybe this is interesting for some of you:
I did some research for the "make somtimes core-dumping problem", which
still seems to be open from what I read in the release notes.

With the help of the generated stack traces I saw that it happens in the
function
exec_command () in job.c. Then I added some printf-calls and saw that
for some reason, the execvp()-call in line 2276  fails with errno=4
(EINTR, Interrupted system call).
After that, the stack seems to be garbled completely, because then
argv is set to 0x5, and the actual crash happens in
      perror_with_name ("execvp: ", argv[0]);

This was done on WindowsNT,
$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-4.0 LOCUTUS 1.3.3(0.46/3/2) 2001-09-12 23:54 i686 unknown
and a self-built (with debug info) make-3.79.1-5.

What still confuses me is that if I take the sources of
make-3.79.1-2 and rebuild it with my cygwin version, the core never
happens.
I did a diff to the latest version but I could not figure out what the
problem is.

The mean thing is that it doesn't happen every time and the probability
of it happening has something to do with the number of printf-calls
before; and strangely, it is much easier to reproduce if stdout is
redirected to a file.

Hopefully this helps someone to track down the problem.

Greetings,
    Michael