Re: Re^2: xdvi runtime error

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 10:15:06AM -0500, Nicolae Santean wrote:
> 1. Apparently, the heap_chunk_in_mb registry does not always tweak
> the memory default limit for cygwin. Many people report this issue
> and it actually happened to me as well. But, here's what I tried:
> increased the value to 512Mb (instead of 256Mb - what I wanted)
> and I finally got my 256Mb (sharp) increase. I guess I have to
> set it to double what I want in order to get it (?).

Ijust assume that your application needs other memory as well.

> 2. I have fixed one of my xdvi problems: the error "setsid: Not owner"
> is due to the fact that xdvi calls vfork(), if not instructed to do
> otherwise. Apparently vfork() is not supported and I fixed the problem
> by redefining vfork as fork.

vfork() is supported but it's not really forking.  Actually parent
and child are running in the same process context.  The Cygwin vfork()
implementation is only meant to allow a exec(2) call without having to
go through the fork() treadmill so this speeds up e.g. shells.

If your application assumes to be able to do really cool stuff under
vfork() conditions... don't use it in the Cygwin version.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.