Re: login: no shell: /bin/bash: Permission denied

Corinna Vinschen <cygwin@cygwin.com> writes:

> I don't understand your example.  What's wrong?  Hmm, ok, I assume
> you expect a `Permission denied' when trying to ls 400/400, right?

Yes, sorry to be so implicit.

> This is not HE specific, it's default for all NT versions.  It's
> a user right called "Bypass traverse checking" which is by default
> given to everyone!  It means, when accessing a file, the system
> only checks your permissions on the file but not your permissions
> on the directories in the file's path.  No chance to do that 100%
> POSIX compliant since it's not in the responsibility of Cygwin to
> change user rights.  And we decided not to simulate that behaviour.
> Cygwin is already slow enough.

Ok, thanks.  Good to know that directory permissions on Windows NT are
pretty useless.  And no, it wouldn't make much sense to enforce POSIX
compliance artificially, imo.  If the kernel grants access, that's it.

    $ ls -dl 000 000/x
    d---------    0 fred     Geen            0 Mar  7 13:45 000
    -rwx------    1 fred     Geen           11 Mar  7 13:45 000/x
    $ cat ./000/x; ./000/x
    echo hallo
    hallo

>>     $ ls -l /cygdrive/c/autoexec.bak
>>     -rwx------    1 tom      Geen           18 Mar  7 12:55 /cygdrive/c/autoexec.bak
>>     $ cat /cygdrive/c/autoexec.bak
>>     Path=C:\WINDOWS;
>>     $ id
>>     uid=1009(fred) gid=513(Geen) groups=0(Iedereen),513(Geen),545(Gebruikers)
>
> Ok, check the *full* permissions using getfacl.  You'll be surprised,
> probably...  Don't forget that an ACL contains more than just three
> entries.

Indeed:

    $ getfacl /cygdrive/c/autoexec.bak
    # file: /cygdrive/c/autoexec.bak
    # owner: tom
    # group: Geen
    user::rwx
    group::---
    group:SYSTEM:rwx
    group:Administrators:rwx
    group:Gebruikers:r-x
    mask::---
    other::---

There are four groups getting group permissions.  Thanks for pointing
this out as well.

Jan.

--
Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> | GNU LilyPond - The music typesetter