Failed: Installing Postgresql under Cygwin on win98se

Hi!

Donīt know if itīs right here but I wasnīt succesful at news.postgresql
yet :( ...

Ok, main thing is: I downloaded&installed postgresql 7.2 (it seemed to
be the new official package back then) recently and all of the stuff it
needs.
ipc-daemon & works (it did nothing foolish so far).
Then I tried the initdb-script to initialize the db.
(at least this is what iīve found to be done first after reading all of
these howtos and readmes. Here I should point out that they either were
a)too old (referencing version 7.1.3 ?)
b)path structure different
c)saying different things about what to do )

So, this is what initdb offered me:
______________________________
$ initdb -D /usr/share/postgresql/data/
basename: not found
grep: not found
grep: not found
sed: not found
The program 'postgres' is needed by  but was not found in
the directory '/usr/bin'.  Check your installation.

It seems to me that some bash commands donīt work, it would be
interesting if itīs a normal behaviour or due to win98,
or is it a script error?

Or - and i hope that - I just did the wrong things so far
and itīs simple. Problem is, that I didnīt find anything explaining the
postgresql cygwin-package separately and what to do then. And Iīve read
somewhere that win98se is supposed to be supported...

Thanks in advance,

Tom