Re: Having problems running services under Win2K ( inetd/sshd/... )?

At 07:05 PM 3/5/2002, John Tynefield wrote:
>Over many frustrating hours I have been trying to get inetd ( or sshd ) to
>work with my Win2K cygwin setup to enable civilized remote access.  It
>worked great on one of my local systems, but every time I tried to start the
>service on a very similarly configured machine it would fail with:
>
>cygrunsrv: Error starting a service: QueryServiceStatus:  Win32 error 1062:
>The Service has not been started.
>
>Searches of this mailing list and extensive google searches were no use.
>Ultimately I found the culprit.  For some reason setup.exe had created all
>of my root mount points as user mounts and not system mounts.  Therefore the
>service when started as user: SYSTEM couldn't find, well anything, and
>failed without printing any useful status.  The solution is to change / from
>a user mount point to a system mount point.
>
>I hope this description saves someone else the headache.

Setup provides the option to "Install For:" "All" or "Just Me".  You obviously
decided to use "Just Me", which explains why you got what you did by running
setup.  If you wanted system mounts, you should have chosen "All".  As you
noted, it's possible to change this setting after installation by just
remounting the 'user' mounts as 'system'.  For those interested in these
details, see 'mount --help'.