Re: "local install"?

Randall R Schulz wrote:

> I don't understand this. You get maximum flexibility by separate
> "Download from Internet" and "Install from Local Directory" operations.
> That way you can download sources and have them at hand without
> unconditionally installing them.
>
> By copying my local installation cache to a CD, I can save others very
> large downloads.
>
> I cannot see this as a loss of functionality.
>
> Can you tell me some functionality only available when one uses "Install
> from Internet?"

Sure:  merging multiple "mirrors" into a seamless single-view
installation.  (Or, merging an official mirror site + "Bob's archive of
cool cygwin packages" + "My company's local cygwin ports" into a single,
always-up-to-date single seamless installation).  Sure, you could
manually download the packages you are interested in from all 27 sites,
merge them into a single local repo, and then do 'install-from-local' --
but setup's "extra functionality" automatically handles that stuff for
you -- just point-n-click.

--Chuck