Reading console input from Java under Cygwin shell (was Re: inputstream!)

Pramod:

>if i write a simple java program that uses a BufferedReader reader object
>wrapped from System.in and then try to read a line from user and then echo
>it back, cygwin for some reason already has stuff on the stream and so
>without waiting for the user to type something in the program fetches that
>and prints it out (it is usually) just a newline.  why does this happen!

The following code works on my system using JDK 1.4.0 and Windows 2000:

* * *

package test.io;

import java.io.*;

public class ConsoleInput {
		BufferedReader in = new BufferedReader(new InputStreamReader(System.in));
		String s = in.readLine();
		System.out.println("Echo: " + s);
	}
}

* * *

There are some issues with reading console input on Win 9x systems that have
nothing to do with Cygwin.  See, e.g., Java Developer Connection Bug
#4071281 at
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4071281.html.  Are
you using a Windows 9x flavor?

Silly question:  Have you tried running it simply under DOS?

-- David Caldwell.