1.3.9: "fork: Permission denied" (Windows 2000)

Just a quick question to find out if this bug is already known.  I don't
know if it's the make bug mentioned in the FAQ.  I can't easily supply a
test case as it only seems to happen after building hundreds of thousands of
lines of source code.

Our build system consists of recusive makes including shell and perl
scripts.  This problem has only occured on my notebook, not on my desktop at
work, desktop at home, or any other developers machines.  After building for
30 minutes, I get a dump similar to:

sed: permission denied
uname: permission denied
Cannot fork: Permission denied
sed: permission denied
Cannot fork: Permission denied
gmake[2]: execvp: sh: Permission denied
gmake[2]: c:/cygwin/home/smr/dev/src/mk/makefile.Windows_NT:134: fork:
Permission denied
Cannot form: Permission denied
bldstr.sh: not found
makefile:39: makefile.lib: No such file or directory
gmake[2]: *** No rule to make target `makefile.lib'.  Stop.
gmake[1]: *** [build] Error 2
gmake: *** [all] Error 2

After this error has occured, if I try to open a new bash window, I get:
        0 [main] bash 5992 sync_with_child: child 37832(0xC4) died before
initialization with status code 0x80
   1023 [main] bash 5992 sync_with_child: *** child state waiting for
longjmp
bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

I then tried to run it again (within the original bash session), and it
failed immediately with:

Cannot fork: Permission denied
Cannot fork: Permission denied
tr: permission denied
Cannot fork: Permission denied
bldstr.sh: not found
makefile:49: makefile.subdir: No such file or directory
gmake: *** No rule to make target `makefile.subdir'.  Stop.

I can run each of these programs from the command line (and then the same
commands are reported as permission denied) if I try to run the makefile
again.  The files that it complains cannot be found, and in fact it seems
that it complains about different files each time, sometimes getting
further, sometimes not.  Once I've hit this problem, I cannot get it to
continue without a reboot.  After a reboot, the build will usually pass
through all of the directories that built last time and continue
successfully from where it left off, but will then crash again sometime
later.  It seems that it will only happen after it's done a certain amount
of work.

All of this is after removal of cygwin and reinstallation of all packages.

Steven
--
Steven Reddie <Steven.Reddie@ca.com>
Senior Software Engineer