Re: SSHD fails to start - not responding in a timely fashion

At 12:52 PM 2/22/2002, Scott Mulroy wrote:
>Hello Corinna,
>
>I've seen your name on several posts while searching through google.  It
>seems that some people have had similar problems with sshd that I have,
>but I really haven't seen a solution or any indication as to why the
>problems are occuring.  I'm hoping that you can help me or perhaps point
>me in a direction where I can find a solution.  Let me give you some
>background information on how I'm proceeding.
>
>-----
>
>We have numerous sales persons at remote sites around the continent.  Each
>of the sales persons have a laptop provided by our company.  As part of a
>update package we're trying to install the sshd service to provide us with
>a remote access point other than VNC  (something less obtrusive which we
>could perform regular updates via rsync).  Working together with co-worker
>I've been able to install sshd successfully on at least 4 local laptops
>and even virtual machines.
>
>After feeling confident that I have the process down and flawless, I
>proceed to perform the exact same installation on one of our remote sales
>laptops.  Please keep in mind that the laptop environment is built to
>strict specifications and the only difference between my local test
>laptops and the remote sales laptops is the fact that the remote sales
>laptops are being used regularly  (we're installing on Windows 2000
>Professional w/Service Pack 2).
>
>After installing the package on the remote sales laptop, the sshd service
>fails to start and returns with the Windows error:
>
>The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely
>fashion.
>
>The end result:  run through more local testing and find that it works
>fine under every test condition, including dialup to a ISP and VNC to that
>laptop.  Another recent attempt on another remote sales laptop has failed
>as well--same problem, no clue why, no clue what's different.

This strikes me like a service dependency issue.  There has been some
discussion of this on the list.  You might want to look into this.  Because
services start in different sequences or require differing amounts of time
to start up on different machines, not specifying prerequisites can create
these undependable situations.  Sorry I don't have specific service dependency
suggestions for you here (beyond perhaps the browser) but you should find
some in the email archive if you're interested.  Anyway, it's a possibility
you might want to investigate.

Hope that helps,