Re: Why not a news server?

Hi,

Well, this news server certainly does not address the issue of archive
searching, as it goes back only a few days (as of this writing, the
earliest posting still there is from Feb. 06, 2002). My own local archive
of cygwin@cygwin.com goes back to Jan 01, 2001. Using Eudora I can do
multi-criteria search with AND or OR combination, optionally restricted to
particular headers or the body and if necessary I can use regular
expressions as the search criteria.

I really don't see how that can be improved upon by any on-line archive.

My year and ~1.5 months of Cygwin archives requires 48 megabytes. That
seems pretty reasonable to me, considering the cheapness of mass storage.

Note, too, that given the nature of the mailbox files' contents (all text,
usually 7-bit at that), even Windows compression is quite effective,
reducing the file's physical size to between .6 and .65 of that of the
uncompressed original.

Here's what I do: When the size of a given list's primary mailbox becomes
uncomfortably large, I split off an archive mailbox file from the main
mailbox, give it a date-stamped alternative name and apply Windows file
compression. All together, this has saved me a little over 200 megabytes of
disk space (!).

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA