inetd utilities startup

Hello,
    I'm running I bellieve it's cygwin 1.3.9, i just downloaded it today on
my win2ksp2 box. I've got c:\cygwin\bin first on my path before anything
else, i've used:
./inetd --install-as-service
to install inetd as a service, purpose being i want ftp capabilities to this
box. On an aside does anyone know if proftpd will work under cygwin? Back to
my problem, the --install-as-service goes flawlessly yet when i try to start
inetd either from net start inetd or from service control manager it
complains that it can't find cygwin1.dll. I've checked in c:\cygwin\bin and
cygwin1.dll is in fact there. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    On a secondary note, when setting my CYGWIN environment variable i want
it set to binmode tty ntsec when setting it in the advanced tab of system
properties do i enclose those values in "" such as "binmode tty ntsec" or
just enter them as is?
Thanks.
Dave.