Re: 2/13 PM NAV update

Bill,

A better way to detect an alteration to a program is to use the "sum"
command to generate a checksum. As I mentioned in my first resonse to Hong
Xun, sum on my installed copy of the 1.3-6 cygz.dll yields this:

% sum /bin/cygz.dll
19649    50

For the 1.3-6 version the result is:

% sum cygz.dll
04409    49

I did another LiveUpdate of my NAV virus descriptions (getting 30 new
definitions, as you pointed out) and ran it on the 1.3-7 (latest) cygz.dll
and still got no "hit." However, the new descriptions do seem to detect the
"Backdoor Egghead" virus in the 1.3-6 version of cygz.dll.

I am dubious that that DLL is really infected with a virus...Surely the
pattern detection of NAV is susceptible to false positives, no?

There's another interesting thing here: Clicking the "Virus Info..." button
in the detection notification dialog displays a virus information dialog
that, among other things, says that the virus length is 0 (zero) bytes. How
dangerous could and empty "virus" be?

Not that it matters, I'm not using that DLL and am unlikely to "downgrade"
to it.

I'd be mildly interested in a full and complete explanation of what's going
on here, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over it or investigate any
further.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA