1.3.6: Bug - Any PATH larger than ~256 gets reset to (NULL)

Hi,
    I was having problems with openssh for windows, which makes use of
cygwin1.dll 1.3.6, and I eventually tracked the problem back to a subprocess
being executed but being passed path=(NULL).  After reading the mailing list
(http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2001-10/msg01224.html) I discovered it was
because my path was larger than ~256 characters.  I have not been able to do
more extensive testing but due to the nature of the other report, I would
think the problem is in the cygwin dll somewhere rather than in clearmake or
openssh for windows.  The system I'm using is Windows 2000 SP2.  The problem
is reproducable by installing openssh for windows
(http://www.networksimplicity.com/) and setting the path variable to be more
than 258 (see mentioned article) characters.   Any fix to this would be
appreciated.  Thanks,
    Mike Auty