Re: MS C++ Patent (WAS: DirectX8/DirectInput + cygwin)

Hi,

> I'm talking about the specific implementation of the virtual table - the
> layout of the function pointers relative to the "this" pointer.  The
> location and format of the vtable relative to the "this" pointer in Visual
> C++ is patented by Microsoft.  I wish I knew the patent number...

I think it's US Patent 5,297,284, "Method and system for implementing
virtual functions and virtual base classes and setting a this pointer for an
object-oriented programming language".

Here's a direct URL (split over 4 lines 'cos it was too long):

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?
Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&
u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1='5297284'.WKU.&
OS=PN/5297284&RS=PN/5297284

Standard disclaimer applies to this post - I am not a lawyer. :-P

Regards,

Jon
--
"The knack of flying is learning how to throw yourself at
the ground and miss." - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

E-mail: jon@jon-foster.co.uk
web: http://www.jon-foster.co.uk/