Re: Potential problems with cygwin GCC and -mno-cygwin switch

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 12:28:22AM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>> =========
>>
>>3) There's a problem with Cygwin-specific libraries residing in
>>/usr/lib.  ...  I, of course, updated the specs file to accomodate
>>this.  My environment now works flawlessly.  When OpenLDAP looks for
>>libncurses, it doesn't find it, as it shouldn't.
>
>This seems like an interesting approach.  I wonder if anything would
>get broken by it (other than ALL the existing packages that provide
>libraries :}).

Yeah, and we can kiss that pesky "UNIX emulation" claim of cygwin's
goodbye, too.  Somehow, I don't think that you'll find many library
files in /usr/lib/cygwin on, say, HP/UX, Linux, Tru64, etc.

This method solves a "problem" for -mno-cygwin at the expense of
impacting many other packages.

I agree that the print-search-dirs should work correctly and even suggested
this in the libtools forum.  I agree that --dll-search-prefix=cyg should
not be activated when the user specifies -mno-cygwin.

I've made the appropriate change to my version of gcc but I don't think
that this warrants a new release.

We will not be moving .a files to /usr/lib/cygwin, so please lets not
even discuss this.

cgf