"sending" local email offline

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to send local email (ie something like: echo "Hello
World" | mutt -s 'hi' Brett@localhost ). This is for testing purposes of the
app (in Java - JavaMail), which in the wild sends out to a real email
address. I've been trying a few things out - the furthest I got with sSMTP
is:
Error sending message, child exited 1 ().
Segmentation Fault (Core dumped)

This was achieved by adding 'set sendmail="/usr/sbin/ssmtp"' to /etc/Muttrc.
I have my user setup correctly (ie login/sshd works), on Win9x.

Will I get ssmtp working for this task without having to get one of the
full-blown MTA's running? I get the feeling I need something more judging by
what I've read on ssmtp, but I haven't played with sendmail or qmail enough
to have a clue yet and wouldn't mind avoiding it for the time being.
Although I've seen ports around (am downloading some now), there seems to be
a general lack of confidence in getting them working well from what I've
seen in the archives/web search. Which would leave my chances somewhere in
the negative.

What it boils down to is getting something listening on SMTP and putting
mail in an mbox that I can have a look through with mutt. Any ideas?
Also, I think I saw more Q's than A's in the archives which leads me to
believe there should be some FAQ entry about mail in general - along the
lines of this works, this doesn't (and perhaps what is standing in its way,
like FIFO support). Or perhaps just a reply like in another mailing list
that said "don't run a mail server on Win32" :)

Cheers,
Brett