General problems creating executables.

I just installed Cygwin recently (installing pretty much every package
from the RCN mirror), and am really looking forward to developing on it.

But right now, I'm having problems creating executables.  If I try to
compile a simple "hello world" program, I don't get an executable.  But,
if I run a "gcc -v" of it, and enter the resulting commands by hand on the
command line, I _do_ get an executable.  Is this something anyone's seen
before?

Probably related: I don't appear to be getting any error messages from the
gcc process - an attempt to compile an invalid C file just failed, without
any warnings or error messages.  Is there something I need to set?

I couldn't find any information about either of these in the faq.  Is
there another document that might be able to help me?

Thanks,
David