Why can't root (administrator) see my net uses??

I have followed the ntsec guidelines listed in the users guide, and
have actually managed to transform my administrators account into
root, and can telnet/rlogin to my box as root.

However, there seems to be one small caveat.  When I login as root,
I can not see any of my uses created under my default userid.

e.g.  My regular/default userid is Mark.
as Mark, I do a net use to my samba server
'net use j: \\fileserv\smbapps'

Now, I run cygwin (as Mark), and telnet back into my box
to login as root.  That all works fine, except, now when I do
a net use, I see no uses, and I can't do a 'net use j: \\fileserv\smbapps'
because somewhere I don't have permissions.  This seems to be a
sticky area within cygwin/windows.  Any pointers??

Thanks.