few more questions

Hi Gerrit,

The last time I sent an email to the list, there were few people who got
offended by my simple questions, so I wanted to ask you few simple questions
in private as you seem to know what you are doing...

I'd appreciate if you could give me some hints about these, so here they
are;

1) I am running tcsh now and I am using Win98 (I know this might be the
origin of several problems, I will upgrade during the thanksgiving weekend);

The bindkey lists that my arrow keys are already mapped to list the history
and to navigate through the line;

% bindkey -a
Arrow key bindings
down           -> down-history
up             -> up-history
left           -> backward-char
right          -> forward-char

But it doesn't work. Do you know a solution for this, most of the other
bindings that used to use on my unix box works fine though.

2) The shell hangs if I do the following;

%env | grep PATH
PATH=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:
/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/COMMAND:/cygdrive/c:/cygdrive/c/CDROM

So, It would do the job properly, but I have to CTRL+C it after a long wait
which would kill the tcsh session as well, in other words it simply hangs
and it will never get back to the cursor.

or;

%ls | cat
./
../
.bash_history
.history
.tcshrc
bindings

and it hangs until I stop it with CTRL+C, and then CTLC+C terminates the
shell session as well. So, the problem is not specific to grep apparently.

I am guessing this is a very basic problem and it would be immediately
detected by others, so do you know a solution to this problem?

3) My Microsoft compiler is installed under;

set VISUALC = 'C:/Program\ Files/Microsoft\ Visual\ Studio/VC98'

However, none of the Makefile utilities (make, jam) were able
to process this path due to the space characters in it, I tried using the
single quotes etc, but I couldn't get it to work.

Then I decided to create a symbolic link to avoid the complicated
path situation, but I am getting the following strange results;

%ln -s "$VISUALC" visualc    # the link
%ls -l                       #check the link

lrwxrwxrwx    visualc -> c:/Program Files/Microsoft Visual Studio/VC98/

%ls visualc                 #this works fine

./   ATL/  CRT/ Include/  MFC/ READMEVC.HTM  Setup/     VC98@
../  Bin/  INSTALL.HTM  Lib/  MSCREATE.DIR  REDIST.TXT    Tutorial/

%cd visualc                #this fails!!!
visualc: No such file or directory.

%ls visualc/Bin/CL.EXE     #this works
visualc/Bin/CL.EXE*

%visualc/Bin/CL.EXE        #this fails again!!!
visualc/Bin/CL.EXE: Command not found.

So, do you know why this is happening or can you suggest me another way? is
the only solution to reinstall the compiler on a different path?!?

I would appreciate if you can answer even to few of these and do you think
it is worth sending this message to the cygwin list?

Thanks in advance,
-kisa